LeT commander killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: A Pakistani Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander has been killed by security forces in a gunfight in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district, police said Monday.
"Acting on specific information about an LeT commander hiding in a house in Gurura village, security forces were moved out Sunday morning to cordon off the area," a senior police officer said over phone from Bandipora.
When the hiding militant was challenged to surrender, he opened fire at the troops, triggering a gun battle that ended Sunday evening, police said.
"When searches resumed in the area, the body of Abu Zarar, an LeT commander belonging to Pakistan, was recovered this (Monday) morning," the officer said.
The operation was launched by the police, army and the Central Reserve Police Force.
There was no damage to civilian property and none of the security personnel were injured, the police said.
An AK-47 rifle, four magazines, some grenades and a wireless set were recovered from the slain guerrilla commander.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!