LeT Doda district commander surrenders
Jammu: Two Lashker-e-Toiba militants including
a District Commander today surrendered before authorities
along with their arms.
The LeT district commander for Doda, Gulam Mohammad alias
Abu Rafeequllah and Mohd Asif laid down their weapons before
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Jammu, Ashok Gupta and the
Rashtriya Rifles sector commander.
They handed over one AK-47 rifle, 3 magazines, 90 rounds, 2
pistols, one Chinese-make grenade during a function organised
for this purpose in Doda town.
"We welcome their surrender. They will now restart their
life," the IGP told reporters after the militants laid down
Rafeequllah, who had joined militancy in 2004, said "We
were misguided and lured with money by Pakistan sponsored
terrorists. Now, we will start a new phase of life."
Guwahati: A rickshaw puller died and a 10-year-old student was injured on Sunday in an alleged police firing during an encounter with suspected ULFA militants in Assam’s Kamrup (rural) district, officials said.
Two ULFA militants were travelling in a rickshaw pulled by Maniram Rabha when police fired at them, injuring Rabha and a class IV student Deepjyoti Nath,10, they said.
One of the militant, Riaz Ali alias Harekrishna Deka, was nabbed and a hand grenade was seized from his possession, they said.
Both Rabha and Nath were rushed to hospital. While Rabha succumbed to his bullet wounds, Nath was discharged after first aid, they said.
According to the police, the militants were on their way to a gas agency for extortion when they were intercepted.
Police has launched a massive manhunt to nab the other militant who fled during the firing, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez