LeT militant arrested in J&K car blast case
Srinagar: J&K Police have arrested a computer
engineer with links to Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit for
allegedly "planning and executing" the car bomb explosion that
left his accomplice dead and injured 20 others in Anantnag
district last month.
The arrested militant has been identified as Mohammad
Iqbal Bhat alias Mudasir, a computer engineer from Awantipora
town, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Anantnag RK Jalla
Jalla said the arrested militant was involved in
"planning and executing" the blast, which killed Mohammad
Abbas Dar and injured 20 others including three CRPF jawans
near Bijbehara town in south Kashmir, 45 kms from here, on
The police officer said the car bomb was targeted at
"any security forces convoy or a VIP vehicle" which would have
passed the spot where the car was parked.
Jalla said the investigations have revealed that Dar was
an accomplice of Bhat and got killed when he went to check
the IED after it did not explode with the mobile phone
"They had tried to explode the IED twice using the mobile
phone detonator which failed. Abbas went to check the battery
connection of the device, which exploded due to his fiddling,"
the SSP said.
Jalla said Abbas was working for Lashkar-e-Toiba and he
had brought the IED-laden vehicle to the spot.
He said the module was working under the command of
Lateef Kachru, who is a Lashkar commander in the Awantipora
area of the south Kashmir.
Police are on a lookout for another suspect who has evaded
arrest, he added.
The IED for the blast was prepared by Bhat in the
Junglenar area of Awantipora, Jalla said.
Investigations have also revealed that Abbas was working
as an over ground worker of militants seven years ago but was
lying low till recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA