LeT militant arrested in J&K car blast case
Srinagar: J&K Police have arrested a computer
engineer with links to Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit for
allegedly "planning and executing" the car bomb explosion that
left his accomplice dead and injured 20 others in Anantnag
district last month.
The arrested militant has been identified as Mohammad
Iqbal Bhat alias Mudasir, a computer engineer from Awantipora
town, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Anantnag RK Jalla
Jalla said the arrested militant was involved in
"planning and executing" the blast, which killed Mohammad
Abbas Dar and injured 20 others including three CRPF jawans
near Bijbehara town in south Kashmir, 45 kms from here, on
The police officer said the car bomb was targeted at
"any security forces convoy or a VIP vehicle" which would have
passed the spot where the car was parked.
Jalla said the investigations have revealed that Dar was
an accomplice of Bhat and got killed when he went to check
the IED after it did not explode with the mobile phone
"They had tried to explode the IED twice using the mobile
phone detonator which failed. Abbas went to check the battery
connection of the device, which exploded due to his fiddling,"
the SSP said.
Jalla said Abbas was working for Lashkar-e-Toiba and he
had brought the IED-laden vehicle to the spot.
He said the module was working under the command of
Lateef Kachru, who is a Lashkar commander in the Awantipora
area of the south Kashmir.
Police are on a lookout for another suspect who has evaded
arrest, he added.
The IED for the blast was prepared by Bhat in the
Junglenar area of Awantipora, Jalla said.
Investigations have also revealed that Abbas was working
as an over ground worker of militants seven years ago but was
lying low till recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?