LeT militant involved in murder of two Sopore sisters, killed
Srinagar: The Lashkar-e-Toiba militant,
who was allegedly involved in the murder of two teenaged
sisters in Sopore town of Baramulla district, was killed by
security forces in the apple town on Sunday even as the search
operation in the area entered the second day.
Wasim Ahmad Ganaie, who had taken shelter in an
underground drainage system in Muslim Peer area of Sopore
yesterday, was killed in the wee hours today, officials said.
The officials said Ganaie was one of the two militants
who had abducted and then shot dead Arifa and Akhter, the
teenaged sisters, in the same area of Sopore on the night of
Security forces yesterday launched a search operation
in Muslim Peer locality yesterday morning after inputs about
two to three militants hiding in a medical shop.
As the security forces were closing in, the militants
opened firing on them which was retaliated.
In the ensuing gunbattle, self-styled divisional
commander of Harkatul Mujahideen outfit Chota Kalimullah alias
Shamsher was killed yesterday.
He was also operating under the code name of Talwar
Bhai, the spokesman said, adding an AK 47 rifle, six magazines
and a pistol magazine were recovered from the scene of the
Some buildings were damaged during the operation and
the security forces are searching through the debris.
The killing of the two girls had evoked a sharp
reaction from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who had called the
Lashkar-e-Toiba, which had initially denied its
involvement in the killing of two teenage sisters later
claimed responsibility and alleged the two sisters were
working as "informers" for the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'