LeT militant involved in sarpanch killing held in J&K
Srinagar: A Lashkar-e-Taiba (LET) militant, allegedly involved in the killing of a sarpanch, was arrested by security forces in Baramulla district of north Kashmir on Friday, police said.
Mohammad Altaf Ganie alias `Cheema` was arrested by a joint search party of police, Rashtriya Rifles and CRPF in his Raipora village of Pattan, 30 kms from here, a police spokesman said.
Terming the arrest of Ganie as a "breakthrough", the spokesman said that he was involved in the killing of Sarpanch Ghulam Mohammad Yatoo in the village in September.
However, his other accomplice in the killing - Shabir Ahmed Sheikh alias `Shaka` - is still at large and efforts are on to nab him, the spokesman said.
Arms and ammunition including AK-47 rifle, four magazines, and 192 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the possession of the militant, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway