LeT module busted, 3 militants held in Kashmir
Srinagar: Police on Monday claimed to have busted a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant module from north Kashmir`s Sopore town by arresting three militants of the banned outfit.
Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Abdul Gani Mir said the arrests were effected based on information provided by top LET commander Qari Naveed alias "Fahadullah", a Pakistani national who was arrested on April 17 from Sopore.
Mir said the module was involved in several killings including that of a youth inside a mosque in Sopore and a sarpanch in Palhallan area of Baramulla district.
The arrested militants were identified as Shakir Showket Bhat alias "Mawaz", Feroz Ahmad Dar and Mohammad Rafi Malik, he said adding two AK assault rifles, two magazines, 40 rounds, two chinese pistols with three magazines and two hand grenades were recovered from them.
Giving details of the killings carried out by the module, the IGP said Dar had shot dead Suhail Ahmad Sofi inside a mosque on March 19 at the behest of Fahadullah who had also provided the pistol used in the shooting.
The officer said LeT militant Shabir Ahmad Sheikh alias "Tameem", who got killed in an encounter at Amargad Sopore last week, was behind the killing of sarpanch Ghulam Mohammad Yatoo at Palhallan area of Pattan last year.
He said Sheikh had gone underground immediately after his involvement was revealed in Sarpanch`s murder.
Moreover, the slain militant, who was a close aide of Fahadullah, was also involved in the killing of one Bashir Ahmad Ganie of Chanpora village of Kunzer on March 8.
The arrested militants were also involved in about a dozen grenade attacks in and around Sopore, Mir said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA