LeT module busted, 3 militants held in Kashmir
Srinagar: Police on Monday claimed to have busted a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant module from north Kashmir`s Sopore town by arresting three militants of the banned outfit.
Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Abdul Gani Mir said the arrests were effected based on information provided by top LET commander Qari Naveed alias "Fahadullah", a Pakistani national who was arrested on April 17 from Sopore.
Mir said the module was involved in several killings including that of a youth inside a mosque in Sopore and a sarpanch in Palhallan area of Baramulla district.
The arrested militants were identified as Shakir Showket Bhat alias "Mawaz", Feroz Ahmad Dar and Mohammad Rafi Malik, he said adding two AK assault rifles, two magazines, 40 rounds, two chinese pistols with three magazines and two hand grenades were recovered from them.
Giving details of the killings carried out by the module, the IGP said Dar had shot dead Suhail Ahmad Sofi inside a mosque on March 19 at the behest of Fahadullah who had also provided the pistol used in the shooting.
The officer said LeT militant Shabir Ahmad Sheikh alias "Tameem", who got killed in an encounter at Amargad Sopore last week, was behind the killing of sarpanch Ghulam Mohammad Yatoo at Palhallan area of Pattan last year.
He said Sheikh had gone underground immediately after his involvement was revealed in Sarpanch`s murder.
Moreover, the slain militant, who was a close aide of Fahadullah, was also involved in the killing of one Bashir Ahmad Ganie of Chanpora village of Kunzer on March 8.
The arrested militants were also involved in about a dozen grenade attacks in and around Sopore, Mir said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened