LeT ultra killed in J&K
Srinagar: A Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant was killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Awantipora area in south Kashmir on Tuesday evening, police said.
The gunfight erupted at Beighpora in Awantipora, some 32-km from here, after militants fired at an army patrol at around 7.00 pm, they said.
An AK 47 rifle and some ammunition were recovered from the scene.
Police said the identity and group affiliation of the militant was being ascertained but according to intelligence sources, the dead was Irshad Ahmad, a top LeT militant.
He was believed to be involved in the attack on an army convoy at Hyderpora in June last year in which eight soldiers were killed and others 16 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia