Life back on track in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk
Srinagar: Markets in city centre Lal Chowk and adjacent areas here resumed business after four days Monday following a gunfight between militants and security personnel that lasted 23 hours. The government has assured the people that the paramilitary camp in the area would be relocated.
Shops were opened in Lal Chowk, Residency Road, Gonikhan, and Hari Singh High Street and vehicles also plied normally.
Two guerrillas had attacked the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in Lal Chowk Wednesday and later taken shelter in a hotel in the market square, triggering a gun battle that lasted for 23 hours.
The stand-off between the holed up guerrillas and the security forces ended with the death of the two guerrillas, one policeman and a civilian.
Ten people, including two CRPF troopers and eight civilians, were wounded in the incident.
The hotel building where the guerrillas had taken up positions was gutted following the heavy exchange of fire between the guerrillas and security forces.
Shopkeepers and other businessmen in Lal Chowk had refused to open their shops after the gunfight ended Friday, demanding the removal of the CRPF camp from the city centre.
Nasir Ahmad Wani, a legislator and junior minister for tourism, met a delegation of businessmen Sunday and assured them that the camp would be relocated soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video