Light snowfall in Srinagar, more expected
Srinagar: There was light snowfall in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Friday morning. The weather office forecast more light to moderate rain or snowfall across the valley.
"We are expecting widespread light to moderate rain or snow in the valley. The snowfall could be heavy at a few places in the higher reaches," a weather official told reporters.
The snowfall has caused an appreciable rise in the minimum temperatures, bringing relief from the severe cold wave conditions that existed for nearly a month.
"The minimum temperature was 0.8 degrees in Srinagar. It was minus 1.8 in Pahalgam and minus 8 in Gulmarg," the official said.
The wet weather conditions are because of a western disturbance which is active over the valley.
Western disturbance is a term used in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh to describe an extra tropical storm in the Mediterranean Sea that causes sudden rain and snow in South Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days