Light snowfall in Srinagar, more expected
Srinagar: There was light snowfall in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Friday morning. The weather office forecast more light to moderate rain or snowfall across the valley.
"We are expecting widespread light to moderate rain or snow in the valley. The snowfall could be heavy at a few places in the higher reaches," a weather official told reporters.
The snowfall has caused an appreciable rise in the minimum temperatures, bringing relief from the severe cold wave conditions that existed for nearly a month.
"The minimum temperature was 0.8 degrees in Srinagar. It was minus 1.8 in Pahalgam and minus 8 in Gulmarg," the official said.
The wet weather conditions are because of a western disturbance which is active over the valley.
Western disturbance is a term used in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh to describe an extra tropical storm in the Mediterranean Sea that causes sudden rain and snow in South Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars