Liyakat issue: BJP MLAs stage dharna outside J&K Assembly
Jammu: BJP MLAs in Jammu and Kashmir Monday staged dharna against the Omar Abdullah government and National Conference for their stance on arrest of Liyaqat Ali Shah, who Delhi Police claim is a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist.
Led by leader of BJP Legislative party Ashok Khajuria, the MLAs sat on dharna at the front entry gate of state legislature to protest National Conference`s move to bring a resolution to discuss Liyaqat issue in Assembly today.
The resolution was rejected by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
"We criticise the government for bringing resolution in the House over Liyaqat who is a terrorist caught by the Delhi Police. Government and NC is supporting people like him," Khajuria told reporters here.
He claimed that the government has failed on all fronts, particularly security, as seen from attacks on security personnel and civilians for over a fortnight.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police maintain Liyaqat was a militant who had surrendered as part of rehabilitation policy and was headed to Kashmir.
The conflicting versions of Delhi Police and JK police over Shah`s credentials are being examined by Ministry of Home Affairs after a row erupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city