Liyakat issue: BJP MLAs stage dharna outside J&K Assembly
Jammu: BJP MLAs in Jammu and Kashmir Monday staged dharna against the Omar Abdullah government and National Conference for their stance on arrest of Liyaqat Ali Shah, who Delhi Police claim is a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist.
Led by leader of BJP Legislative party Ashok Khajuria, the MLAs sat on dharna at the front entry gate of state legislature to protest National Conference`s move to bring a resolution to discuss Liyaqat issue in Assembly today.
The resolution was rejected by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
"We criticise the government for bringing resolution in the House over Liyaqat who is a terrorist caught by the Delhi Police. Government and NC is supporting people like him," Khajuria told reporters here.
He claimed that the government has failed on all fronts, particularly security, as seen from attacks on security personnel and civilians for over a fortnight.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police maintain Liyaqat was a militant who had surrendered as part of rehabilitation policy and was headed to Kashmir.
The conflicting versions of Delhi Police and JK police over Shah`s credentials are being examined by Ministry of Home Affairs after a row erupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief