LJP leader Paswan meets Geelani
Srinagar: LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan
Tuesday met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani at
his residence here and voiced concerns over the security of
minorities living in the Kashmir Valley.
Paswan expressed concern over security of minority
communities, including Pandits and Sikhs, who are living in
Kashmir, Hurriyat sources said.
Geelani assured Paswan that the minorities in the
Valley were safe as they were part of the Kashmir society, the
Stressing that protection of minorities is the duty of
Muslims wherever they are in majority, the Hurriyat chairman
said the concept of Islamisation was unnecessarily being
maligned as Islamic society guaranteed right to life, honour
and liberty of minorities.
During the meeting, Geelani raised the issue of
killings of civilians in Kashmir.
Paswan assured the Hurriyat leader that he will raise
the issue of sufferings of the people of Kashmir in
The LJP leader`s meeting with Geelani comes a day
after a five-member team led by CPI(M) leader Sita Ram Yechury
met the hardline leader at his residence.
A delegation led by Paswan had yesterday met Jammu and
Kashmir Liberation Front leader Yasin Malik and asked him to
come forward to end the crisis in the Kashmir Valley.
Meanwhile, Muslim Majlis MP Assaduddin Owaisi, who had
yesterday met Geelani, today called on moderate Hurriyat
leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq at his Nigeen residence on the
outskirts of the city.
Owaisi, while expressing concern over the situation
in Kashmir, urged the separatists to contribute in restoring
peace and normalcy in the Valley.
He said his party will discuss the situation and take
up the matter with the Central government.
The all-party team led by Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram is in the state to assess the ground situation
against the backdrop of unabated unrest that has claimed over
100 lives in the last three months. The delegation will fly to
Jammu later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional