LJP leader Paswan meets Geelani
Srinagar: LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan
Tuesday met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani at
his residence here and voiced concerns over the security of
minorities living in the Kashmir Valley.
Paswan expressed concern over security of minority
communities, including Pandits and Sikhs, who are living in
Kashmir, Hurriyat sources said.
Geelani assured Paswan that the minorities in the
Valley were safe as they were part of the Kashmir society, the
Stressing that protection of minorities is the duty of
Muslims wherever they are in majority, the Hurriyat chairman
said the concept of Islamisation was unnecessarily being
maligned as Islamic society guaranteed right to life, honour
and liberty of minorities.
During the meeting, Geelani raised the issue of
killings of civilians in Kashmir.
Paswan assured the Hurriyat leader that he will raise
the issue of sufferings of the people of Kashmir in
The LJP leader`s meeting with Geelani comes a day
after a five-member team led by CPI(M) leader Sita Ram Yechury
met the hardline leader at his residence.
A delegation led by Paswan had yesterday met Jammu and
Kashmir Liberation Front leader Yasin Malik and asked him to
come forward to end the crisis in the Kashmir Valley.
Meanwhile, Muslim Majlis MP Assaduddin Owaisi, who had
yesterday met Geelani, today called on moderate Hurriyat
leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq at his Nigeen residence on the
outskirts of the city.
Owaisi, while expressing concern over the situation
in Kashmir, urged the separatists to contribute in restoring
peace and normalcy in the Valley.
He said his party will discuss the situation and take
up the matter with the Central government.
The all-party team led by Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram is in the state to assess the ground situation
against the backdrop of unabated unrest that has claimed over
100 lives in the last three months. The delegation will fly to
Jammu later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi