LoC trade completes one year; banking facility yet to begin
Srinagar: Cross-LoC trade completed a year
on Wednesday but the business between Jammu and Kashmir and
Pakistan-occupied Kasmir (POK) continues to be conducted by
barter in the absence of banking and communication facilities.
At a function arranged to mark the first anniversary of
the cross-border trade, State Industries and Commerce Minister
S S Slathia said a Rs 40-crore project was approved for
providing better facilities at the trading centre.
He said about ten acres of land was identified for
expanding the centre. The function was organised at
Salamabad-Uri, 100 kms from here.
In the absence of banking and communication facilities,
it was traders` enthusiasm that keeps the trade going.
"What keeps the trade going despite many odds was
traders` dedication and enthusiasm," a spokesman of a traders
The trade between two parts of divided Kashmir started on
October 21 last year.
A total of 123 consignments had crossed the LoC through
Srinagar-Muzaffrabad road since the launch of trade.
The spokesman said 190 traders were engaged in trading
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH