LoC trade completes one year; banking facility yet to begin
Srinagar: Cross-LoC trade completed a year
on Wednesday but the business between Jammu and Kashmir and
Pakistan-occupied Kasmir (POK) continues to be conducted by
barter in the absence of banking and communication facilities.
At a function arranged to mark the first anniversary of
the cross-border trade, State Industries and Commerce Minister
S S Slathia said a Rs 40-crore project was approved for
providing better facilities at the trading centre.
He said about ten acres of land was identified for
expanding the centre. The function was organised at
Salamabad-Uri, 100 kms from here.
In the absence of banking and communication facilities,
it was traders` enthusiasm that keeps the trade going.
"What keeps the trade going despite many odds was
traders` dedication and enthusiasm," a spokesman of a traders
The trade between two parts of divided Kashmir started on
October 21 last year.
A total of 123 consignments had crossed the LoC through
Srinagar-Muzaffrabad road since the launch of trade.
The spokesman said 190 traders were engaged in trading
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena