Lt Gen Chachra meets J&K Guv, discusses security scenario
Srinagar: Army`s General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra on Tuesday called on Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra here and discussed the overall security scenario in the state.
Lt Gen Chachra called on Vohra at Raj Bhavan here this evening and the meeting between the two lasted more than an hour, an official spokesman said.
He said the Governor and the Northern Army Commander discussed certain recent incidents of militant violence and related issues concerning internal and external security management, infiltration from across the LoC, and the overall security scenario in the state.
They also discussed issues relating to the security of the ongoing yatra to the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir Himalayas, the spokesman said.
He said the Northern Army Commander was accompanied by General Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based XV Corps Lt Gen Gurmeet Singh.
This was Lt Gen Chachra`s first meeting with the Governor after he took over charge of the Northern Army Command on July 1.
The Governor wished the Army commander a very successful tenure, the spokesman said.
Lt Gen Chachra arrived in the Valley on a three-day visit yesterday and had meeting with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
He also paid obeisance at the holy cave shrine of Amarnath and reviewed the overall security situation with the top brass of the Army, a defence spokesman said.
Later, he visited the Headquarters of CIF(K) and 19 Infantry Division and also the units located in forward areas.
The Army Commander lauded the efforts of soldiers deployed in the difficult terrain along the Line of Control and expressed his happiness over the alertness troops are maintaining to thwart the infiltration attempts, the spokesman said.
The spokesman added Lt Gen Chachra also commended the troops operating in the hinterland towards bringing normalcy in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP