Lt Gen Chachra takes over as Army`s Northern Command chief
Jammu: Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra on Monday took over as chief of Udhampur-based Army`s Northern Command.
Lt Gen Chachra assumed the charge of GOC-in-C of the prestigious Northern (Dhruva) Command at a simple ceremony in Udhampur, a Defence spokesman said.
He succeeded Lt Gen KT Parnaik who retired yesterday after 41 years of service.
A second generation Rajput Officer, Lt Gen Chachra was commissioned to 17 Rajput in June 1974, he said.
An alumnus of National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla, and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Lt Gen Chachra has varied combat, staff and instructional experience.
The officer has been on active combat service in Siachen glacier, high altitude border areas of North and North-East and commanded 16 Rajput in a counter-insurgency environment.
For exceptional service during command of his unit in counter-insurgency operations, he was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) and also the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM).
Lt Gen Chachra was GOC-in-C, Western Command, prior to assuming charge of the Northern Command.
As Director, Foreign Training and International Cooperation, the officer successfully initiated and executed military synergy with a number of friendly foreign armies, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter