Magisterial probe ordered into J&K fake encounter
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government has
ordered a magisterial probe into the alleged fake encounter in
Poonch and sought a report from the police on the incident.
"A magisterial probe has been ordered by the district
administration into the encounter. We are also seeking a full
report from the police in the `fake` encounter case in
Surankote belt of Poonch district," Assistant Commissioner
Revenue (ACR), Poonch, Tilak Raj Sharma said.
"I have visited Surankote belt, gone into the case
details, before commencing recording of the statements of all
the people associated with the case, I am seeking a full
report from the police today," Sharma, who is the head of the
probe panel, said.
The Army on Sunday had claimed to have killed a Pakistani
militant and divisional commander of Lashker-e-Toiba, Abu
Usman, after a 12-hour gunbattle at Surankote area of Poonch
district in Jammu region. However, during the probe it was
found that the deceased was a civilian.
A Special Police Officer (SPO) Noor Hussain and an Army
jawan Abdul Majeed, who allegedly staged the killing of an
unidentified mentally challenged civilian from Rajouri as part
of a conspiracy to gain personal benefits were arrested and
booked for murder on Monday.
The body of the slain civilian was buried in Surakote last
evening after the post mortem.
The police had earlier constituted a Special Investigation
team (SIT) headed by Additional SP Yogal Manhas.
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector General (DIG), Rajouri-Poonch,
Rajesh Kumar today ruled out fresh arrests in the case.
"We have taken statements of various persons associated
with the encounter. Also statements of four SPOs, two hotel
boys in Rajouri and a few in Surankote have been taken," he
Police is also gathering various items of the civilian
killed in the encounter, including his sleepers, bag.
In protest against the fake encounter, locals in
Surankote today observed a partial bandh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon