Major, civilian injured as youths open fire in J&K
Srinagar: An army officer and a civilian were on Saturday injured in a firing incident in Pattan area of north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, official sources said.
The firing took place following an altercation between Major Maninderpal Singh and two youth working as his sources Firdaus Ahmad and Javed Ahmad at Par Mohalla in Pattan area, 30 kms from here, the sources said.
The Army officer, dressed in civvies, was carrying a pistol which was snatched by Firdaus and Javed who fired two shots before fleeing from the spot, the sources said.
One bullet pierced through Major Singh`s chest while another hit 70-year-old Ghulam Ahmad Mir in the leg, the sources said.
The Army officer was taken to a military hospital at the Badamibagh Cantonment here and operated upon, the sources said adding his condition is stated to be stable.
While Javed has been arrested, search is on for Firdaus, the sources said.
The sources said the army is investigating why the officer had left his 29 Rashtriya Rifles camp in civvies and without any escort.
Srinagar-based Defence spokesman Lt Colonel JS Brar said he cannot comment on the incident as he was not able to get through to the General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 15 Corps here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi