Major fire in J&K Civil Secretariat annexe
Srinagar: A major fire broke out in the annexe of the Civil Secretariat, the seat of Jammu and Kashmir government, here on Thursday.
Flames and smoke started billowing from the two-storey wooden structure adjacent to the main building of the Civil Secretariat minutes before the scheduled opening of the offices at 9.30 am, officials said.
The building, which houses among other offices of the Education Department and a medical dispensary, was engulfed in flames within no time, they said.
They said it was not clear whether any employee is trapped in the building even as fire tenders are trying to douse the flames.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers