Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed
Srinagar: In a major operation, the Army on Saturday foiled the biggest infiltration bid this year killing 12
intruders in a gunbattle near the Line of Control (LoC) in
Gurez sector of Bandipora district in Kashmir Valley.
"This morning at around 1.00 am, our alert troops
deployed on the Line of Control near Baktoor village in Gurez
Sector intercepted a group of terrorists trying to infiltrate
from Pakistan occupied Kashmir. The group was intercepted when
they were trying to cross the Kishanganga River in a Pneumatic
boat," Defence spokesman Lt Colonel JS Brar said.
In the ensuing gun battle, 12 militants were killed
while an army officer was also killed and two other soldiers
"This (use of boats) is certainly a new development. The
terrorists were also carrying an inflatable dinghy. When
confronted while crossing, a heavy exchange of gunfire ensued.
Six terrorists were killed while they tried to come ashore and
they fell into the river. Six more terrorists were killed near
the shore in a fierce encounter," the spokesman said.
He said five AK rifles, one pistol, two boats, 50
assorted grenades, two radio sets, two compasses and one
Global Positioning System besides a large quantity of war-like
stores were recovered till.
"In this operation, we lost a gallant officer, Lt Navdeep
Singh, besides two of our jawans suffered injuries," the
Navdeep Singh, 26, was commissioned in March this year
in the Army Ordnance Corps and was serving in 15th Battalion
of the Maratha Light Infantry.
"This is the eight infiltration attempt this month and
the biggest so far this year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday