Major infiltration bid foiled, 5 terrorists killed
Srinagar: Foiling a major infiltration bid in north Kashmir along the Line of Control (LOC), the army troops gunned down five guerrillas in an ongoing gunfight. One army officer was also killed and two soldiers were injured, an official said Saturday.
"This is a major infiltration bid by the terrorists. Alert troops guarding the LOC in Gurez sector of Bandipora district challenged a heavily armed group of infiltrating terrorists late yesterday evening," a defence spokesman said.
"The intruders started automatic-gun fire at the troops, triggering an encounter on the LOC. which is still on," he said.
"So far, five terrorists have been killed. One of our officers has also been martyred while two jawans are injured," the spokesman added.
"The encounter is still on at the LOC near Rana Post in Gurez sector," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 10 killed Bangladesh local govt body polls violence
- Watch: Unbelievable! Extra-strong see-through wood is now a reality
- 'Ek Nai Subah': NDA govt celebrates 2 years in office; PM Narendra Modi vows to root out corruption
- Men angrier on Facebook than women: Study
- US blocks cluster-bomb sales to Saudis: Report