Malhotra recommended for Council acting chairman
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra is likely to appoint Amrit Malhotra, a senior Congress leader and staunch loyalist of Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Saif-ud-Din Soz, as the acting Chairman of the state Legislative Council on Saturday, sources said.
The state government on Friday recommended Malhotra for appointment, sources said.
The term of the current Deputy Chairman Arvinder Singh "Micky", considered close to Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, expires on Saturday.
Micky`s term as Member of the Legislative Council also expires on Saturday.
In the current coalition government led by the National Conference (NC), the Congress is entitled to the post of the head of the Council while NC is entitled to the post of the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
NC leader Mohammad Akbar Lone is the Speaker of the Assembly.
There was a proposal to make state Medical Education and Technical Education Minister RS Chib as the Council Chairman but he declined as he did not want to give up the ministerial post, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing