Malhotra recommended for Council acting chairman
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra is likely to appoint Amrit Malhotra, a senior Congress leader and staunch loyalist of Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Saif-ud-Din Soz, as the acting Chairman of the state Legislative Council on Saturday, sources said.
The state government on Friday recommended Malhotra for appointment, sources said.
The term of the current Deputy Chairman Arvinder Singh "Micky", considered close to Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, expires on Saturday.
Micky`s term as Member of the Legislative Council also expires on Saturday.
In the current coalition government led by the National Conference (NC), the Congress is entitled to the post of the head of the Council while NC is entitled to the post of the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
NC leader Mohammad Akbar Lone is the Speaker of the Assembly.
There was a proposal to make state Medical Education and Technical Education Minister RS Chib as the Council Chairman but he declined as he did not want to give up the ministerial post, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you