Man killed in J&K car blast not a militant: Police
Srinagar: The man killed in yesterday`s car
blast in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district apparently had no
links with militancy, police said on Friday.
The deceased, earlier suspected to be a militant, has
been identified as 27-year-old Mohammad Abbass, a resident of
Chursoo village in Pulwama district, they said.
"So far, there is nothing to indicate that he was linked
to militancy," a senior police officer said.
Abbass, he said, had visited Bijbehara sub-district
hospital to deliver lunch to his brother, who is admitted
The deceased did not own the car and police are now
trying to ascertain the ownership of the car which was blown
to pieces, for taking the investigation further, the officer
"The first line of investigation is to ascertain whether
Abbass was inside the car or outside when the explosion took
place. However, it is clear that he bore the brunt of the
blast and indications are that he was not inside the vehicle,"
While Abbass was killed on the spot, 20 persons including
three CRPF jawans were injured in the explosion that rocked
Bijbehara town, 45 kms from here, yesterday.
Initially, it was believed that the person killed in the
blast was a militant and the IED hidden in the car went off
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice