Manali-Leh highway reopens
Manali: The strategic National Highway-22, which connects Manali town in Himachal Pradesh to Leh in Jammu and Kashmir, has been reopened for light vehicles after it was shut due to landslides Aug 6, an official said here Sunday.
"The traffic between Manali and Leh was partially restored Saturday," an official of the General Reserve Engineering Force, a wing of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), told a news agency.
He said some stretch of the highway between Upshi and Rumptse in Ladakh region is still under landslides.
"Currently, only small vehicles are allowed to ply. It will take some more days for the heavy vehicles to operate on the highway," he added.
The 222 km stretch of the highway between Manali and Sarchu was already made motorable last week for all type of vehicles.
BRO officials said the entire 20 km of road has been badly damaged on the Upshi-Rumptse stretch.
Dev Raj Sharma, the senior manager of the Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPTDC) posted here, said the bus service on the Manali-Leh segment would be resumed only after the highway is made motorable for heavy vehicles.
The HPTDC operates a luxury bus service on this route.
A cloudburst occurred at Choglamsar village Aug 6, which is situated above Leh town, causing flash floods and mudslides that washed away government offices, paramilitary camps and residential homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp