Media has neither been gagged nor can ever be: Omar
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday sought to play down the issue of advisory issued to TV channels by the Union government, saying the media has neither been gagged nor it can ever be.
"I have nothing to do with it- or what Narendra Modi says -- you can pose this question to Central government -- As far as my information is --I don`t think you people (Media) have any ban and neither anybody can impose ban on your," he said here.
"Media has neither been gagged nor can be gagged", Omar told reporters when asked about advisory of the Union government to TV Channels.
In an advisory issued on October 21, the Information and Broadcasting ministry had asked TV channels that when the Prime Minister or the President on a national day like August 15 or January 26, make an address, it should be taken with sensitivity.
Modi in a rally in Uttar Pradesh`s Bahraich district had alleged that an advisory was issued by the Centre to TV media on why he was shown "at par" with the PM while he was addressing the nation from the Red Fort on August 15.
"We, political persons, ever if think (on it), nobody can gag media -- those days are gone when there were ten newspapers and a channel in operation -- banning them was media gag," he said.
"Media is now powerful and it is energised now and has courage," he said, adding today it is not era of regular media alone but also of social media.
Such talks are being propagated to incite people, Omar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH