Mehbooba for revival of students` unions in J&K
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party
in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday called for revival of students`
unions in all universities of the state.
Mehbooba`s call for allowing students` bodies to function
in the universities comes days after Islamic University of
Science and Technology (IUST) held its first ever student
elections since the establishment of the varsity in 2006.
"The IUST had set a shining example of democratisation of
the campus activity and the state must take a cue from it to
revive students` unions in other universities as well," PDP
president Mehbooba Mufti said.
The authorities in Kashmir University, the oldest
university in the state, had banned students` union and locked
its office at the peak of last year`s summer unrest.
Mehbooba said the political system in the state has not
benefited from the universities and institutions of higher
learning as much as it should have and it was time this
deficiency is addressed.
She said it was strange that J-K did not allow student
activity on the campus in spite of a very peaceful atmosphere
and new creative processes taking shape there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!