Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest
Srinagar: People`s Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti and hardline Hrriyat leader Syed Ali Geelani were placed under house arrest by authorities here to prevent them visiting north Kashmir`s Sopore town where a youth died in police custody Sunday.
"A police contingent prevented Mehbooba Mufti as she came out of the Gupkar Road residence of her father, Mufti Muhammad Sayeed, this (Sunday) afternoon. Mehbooba Mufti wanted to visit Sopore town where a youth has died in (police) custody," PDP spokesman Naeem Akhtar said to a news agency.
Earlier, authorities placed Geelani under house arrest in his uptown Hyderpora residence.
Geelani also intended to visit his hometown and political stronghold Sopore where 26-year old Nazim Rashid, alias Anjum, died in police custody.
Acting swiftly, the state government attached a deputy superintendent of police and placed two other cops under suspension in connection with the youth`s death in police custody.
An FIR under section 302 (murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code (RPC) has been registered in the youth`s death.
State Chief Minister Omar Abdullah posted three strong comments on his twitter account, assuring stringent action against those cops responsible for the youth`s death.
Omar, however, regretted that no action would bring the slain youth back to life.
Tension is running high in Sopore town where the authorities handed over the youth`s body for burial to the family after a team of doctors carried out post-mortem examination of the body which has been videographed as evidence in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday