Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest
Srinagar: People`s Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti and hardline Hrriyat leader Syed Ali Geelani were placed under house arrest by authorities here to prevent them visiting north Kashmir`s Sopore town where a youth died in police custody Sunday.
"A police contingent prevented Mehbooba Mufti as she came out of the Gupkar Road residence of her father, Mufti Muhammad Sayeed, this (Sunday) afternoon. Mehbooba Mufti wanted to visit Sopore town where a youth has died in (police) custody," PDP spokesman Naeem Akhtar said to a news agency.
Earlier, authorities placed Geelani under house arrest in his uptown Hyderpora residence.
Geelani also intended to visit his hometown and political stronghold Sopore where 26-year old Nazim Rashid, alias Anjum, died in police custody.
Acting swiftly, the state government attached a deputy superintendent of police and placed two other cops under suspension in connection with the youth`s death in police custody.
An FIR under section 302 (murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code (RPC) has been registered in the youth`s death.
State Chief Minister Omar Abdullah posted three strong comments on his twitter account, assuring stringent action against those cops responsible for the youth`s death.
Omar, however, regretted that no action would bring the slain youth back to life.
Tension is running high in Sopore town where the authorities handed over the youth`s body for burial to the family after a team of doctors carried out post-mortem examination of the body which has been videographed as evidence in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence
- IIFA 2016: Priyanka Chopra wins 'Woman of the Year' award, expresses her joy on Twitter! - View pic
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi