Mehbooba walks out of meeting to select vigilance panel
Srinagar: Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Mehbooba Mufti Monday walked out of a meeting to decide the panel members for the state vigilance commission (SVC), after disagreeing with the proposed names for the chief vigilance commissioner.
The four member selection committee headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met here this evening to decide the panel of names to be submitted to Governor NN Vohra for the selection of chief vigilance commissioner and two vigilance commissioners.
Besides the chief minister, the other members of the selection committee were Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Muhammad Sagar and Mehbooba Mufti, in her capacity as the leader of the opposition in the state assembly.
Talking to media persons after the meeting, Sagar said the selection committee had forwarded the final recommendations to the state governor.
He, however, refused to divulge the names of persons who had been recommended for high profile assignments.
"The chief minister made an effort to evolve consensus as was done earlier in the case of appointment to the state information commission and the state accountability commission.
"A panel of six persons each for CVC and VCs was deliberated upon in the meeting. However, there was no consensus on the name of the CVC as the same was not agreed to by the leader of opposition."
"Institutions such as the vigilance commission should be kept above politics, but unfortunately some persons are politicizing the appointments to these institutions," he added.
Sagar, however, confirmed that the recommendations had been framed and would now be submitted to the governor.
According to sources, outgoing Director General of Police (DGP) Kuldeep Khoda has been recommended for the CVC`s job. He retires on May 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February