Militant killed in encounter with security forces
Srinagar: A militant was on Thursday shot dead in the 28-hour-long gunbattle with security forces in Sopore town of north Kashmir Baramulla district, taking the total
number of ultras killed in the operation to two, officials said.
"We have killed one militant this morning," Sopore Superintendent of Police Altaf Ahmad told a news agency.
Another militant was killed yesterday during the encounter, he said.
He said search operation in the area was in progress.
Acting on a tip off, police and troops of 22 Rashtriya Rifles yesterday launched a search operation in village Dooru in militancy-hit Sopore area, 55 kms from here,
in Baramulla district.
The hiding militants were asked to surrender, but a gunfight started when they opened fire.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain militant could not be ascertained so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj