Militant killed in encounter
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of north Kashmir on Saturday.
The gunbattle broke out in Rashampora village of Kupwara, 100 kms from here, last evening when troops launched a cordon and search operation, Defence Spokesman Lt Col JS Brar said.
In the ensuing encounter, one militant was killed. The firefight has stopped and search operations are going on in the village, he said.
The identity and group affiliation of the militant is yet to be ascertained, he added.
With today`s killing, a total of eight militants have been killed in Kupwara district this month. Five militants including top commanders of Lashkar-e-Toiba were killed in an encounter at Lolab on July 15 while two militants were killed in a gunbattle at Handwara on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan