Militant killed in encounter
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of north Kashmir on Saturday.
The gunbattle broke out in Rashampora village of Kupwara, 100 kms from here, last evening when troops launched a cordon and search operation, Defence Spokesman Lt Col JS Brar said.
In the ensuing encounter, one militant was killed. The firefight has stopped and search operations are going on in the village, he said.
The identity and group affiliation of the militant is yet to be ascertained, he added.
With today`s killing, a total of eight militants have been killed in Kupwara district this month. Five militants including top commanders of Lashkar-e-Toiba were killed in an encounter at Lolab on July 15 while two militants were killed in a gunbattle at Handwara on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'