Militant killed in encounter
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of north Kashmir on Saturday.
The gunbattle broke out in Rashampora village of Kupwara, 100 kms from here, last evening when troops launched a cordon and search operation, Defence Spokesman Lt Col JS Brar said.
In the ensuing encounter, one militant was killed. The firefight has stopped and search operations are going on in the village, he said.
The identity and group affiliation of the militant is yet to be ascertained, he added.
With today`s killing, a total of eight militants have been killed in Kupwara district this month. Five militants including top commanders of Lashkar-e-Toiba were killed in an encounter at Lolab on July 15 while two militants were killed in a gunbattle at Handwara on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines