Militant killed in gunbattle; operation continues
Srinagar: Security forces on Wednesday killed a
militant in an encounter which also left a special police
officer and a soldier injured at a village in Kulgam district
of south Kashmir, a police officer said.
The gunbattle, which began in the evening with militants
opening fire on security forces, is continuing at Khazanbal
village near Tangmarg, 75 km from here, and it is believed
that more militants are hiding in the area, SP (Kulgam) Keshav
The identity of the slain ultra was not ascertained yet.
SPO Zahoor Ahmad and a soldier were injured when militants,
hiding in the village opened indiscriminate fire on a joint
search party of the police and Rashtriya Rifles, he said.
The security forces returned the fire and a gunbattle
followed. Reinforcements have been rushed to the village to
plug all escape routes so that the militants cannot flee the
area, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video