Militant killed, soldier hurt in Kashmir encounter
Srinagar: A guerrilla was killed and a soldier injured Friday in a gunfight between separatists and security forces in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town, police said.
Soldiers from Rashtriya Rifles, the police Special Operations Group (SOG) and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) surrounded a house in Krankshivan area of Sopore, some 55 km from here, late Thursday following a tip off that militants were holed up inside, a police officer said.
"The militants were asked to surrender but they fired at our men resulting in the gunfight," he said. The fighting is still raging.
On Monday, separatist guerrillas carried out a string of attacks in the town, killing a policeman and injuring nine people. One militant was also killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites