Militant killed, soldier hurt in Kashmir encounter
Srinagar: A guerrilla was killed and a soldier injured Friday in a gunfight between separatists and security forces in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town, police said.
Soldiers from Rashtriya Rifles, the police Special Operations Group (SOG) and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) surrounded a house in Krankshivan area of Sopore, some 55 km from here, late Thursday following a tip off that militants were holed up inside, a police officer said.
"The militants were asked to surrender but they fired at our men resulting in the gunfight," he said. The fighting is still raging.
On Monday, separatist guerrillas carried out a string of attacks in the town, killing a policeman and injuring nine people. One militant was also killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum