Militant shot dead in encounter with security forc
Srinagar: Security forces shot dead a militant in a gunfight after their foot patrol came under fire from the ultras in Pulwama district of south Kashmir today.
An unidentified militant has been killed and the operation was on till late evening, an army spokesman said here.
Security forces launched a search operation in Rajpora area of the district, 45 km from here, after their foot patrol came under firing by ultras.
The militants fired at the patrol party of 44 Rashtriya Rifles in Rajpora, prompting the troops to retaliate. However, there was no casualty in the initial firing which lasted for a brief period, police sources said.
The sources said during the search operation, security forces established contact with the militants again, killing one of them.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain militant was awaited as the operation was not over, they added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Delhi Police recovers precious dagger stolen from Nehru Museum, arrests 2
- When Subramanian Swamy provoked Congress leaders with 'Italian Constitution' jibe
- Meldonium count in Maria Sharapova's blood sample exceeds permissible levels: Russian Sports Minister
- Honda Cars expects sales to grow in double digits in 2016-17
- RSS critic Digvijay Singh visits VHP office in Delhi, gifted Ashok Singhal's biography