Militant shot dead in encounter with security forc
Srinagar: Security forces shot dead a militant in a gunfight after their foot patrol came under fire from the ultras in Pulwama district of south Kashmir today.
An unidentified militant has been killed and the operation was on till late evening, an army spokesman said here.
Security forces launched a search operation in Rajpora area of the district, 45 km from here, after their foot patrol came under firing by ultras.
The militants fired at the patrol party of 44 Rashtriya Rifles in Rajpora, prompting the troops to retaliate. However, there was no casualty in the initial firing which lasted for a brief period, police sources said.
The sources said during the search operation, security forces established contact with the militants again, killing one of them.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain militant was awaited as the operation was not over, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre