Militant shot dead in encounter with security forc
Srinagar: Security forces shot dead a militant in a gunfight after their foot patrol came under fire from the ultras in Pulwama district of south Kashmir today.
An unidentified militant has been killed and the operation was on till late evening, an army spokesman said here.
Security forces launched a search operation in Rajpora area of the district, 45 km from here, after their foot patrol came under firing by ultras.
The militants fired at the patrol party of 44 Rashtriya Rifles in Rajpora, prompting the troops to retaliate. However, there was no casualty in the initial firing which lasted for a brief period, police sources said.
The sources said during the search operation, security forces established contact with the militants again, killing one of them.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain militant was awaited as the operation was not over, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31