Militant shot dead in encounter with security forc
Srinagar: Security forces shot dead a militant in a gunfight after their foot patrol came under fire from the ultras in Pulwama district of south Kashmir today.
An unidentified militant has been killed and the operation was on till late evening, an army spokesman said here.
Security forces launched a search operation in Rajpora area of the district, 45 km from here, after their foot patrol came under firing by ultras.
The militants fired at the patrol party of 44 Rashtriya Rifles in Rajpora, prompting the troops to retaliate. However, there was no casualty in the initial firing which lasted for a brief period, police sources said.
The sources said during the search operation, security forces established contact with the militants again, killing one of them.
The identity and group affiliation of the slain militant was awaited as the operation was not over, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police