Militant surrenders in Rajouri
Rajouri (Jammu and Kashmir): A militant, accompanied by his family members, has surrendered before the police at Rajouri, Jammu and Kashmir.
The surrendered militant has been identified as Showkat Ali, a resident of the Thanna Mandi region in the district.
Rajouri`s Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mubbasher Latifi said Ali prior to his surrender had crossed the Line of Control (LoC) to Pakistan administered Kashmir, where he joined a militant outfit.
After staying there for a period of nine years and also marrying a local woman, Ali finally entered India through Nepal before surrendering to the authorities.
Latifi said further investigation is in progress to ascertain the acts of Showkat Ali during his period stint as a militant.
"During investigation we shall check if he has been involved in any case before, and with what motive he has come here. Along with him is his wife who is a Pakistani national and two children as well," said Latifi.
He also mentioned that Ali and his family could be given a new lease of life under the state government`s rehabilitation scheme for such surrendered militants.
Ali’s family members and relatives from the local village Panghai gathered to meet him and his family after his surrender.
Jammu and Kashmir is one of the world`s most militarised zones, with India deploying more than 1.3 million troops to quell the rebellion that triggered off in 1989. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video