Militant suspected to have been killed in Pulwama encounter
Srinagar: A militant is suspected to have
been killed in a day-long encounter with security forces in
Pulwama district on Wednesday.
"A militant identified as Ghulam Mohammad Mir alias
Mohammad Tractor, resident of Gulshanpora, was killed in an
ongoing encounter with security forces in the house of Master
Ghulam Nabi Mir at Mir Mohalla in Dadasir," official sources
However, Deputy Inspector General of Police (South
Kashmir) Kamal Saine said, "The encounter is still going on.
We can confirm the death of the militant only after recovering
the body from the debris," he said.
The gunbattle broke out when militants hiding in a
house fired on a joint search party of police and troops of 42
Rashtriya Rifles at Mir Mohalla in Dadasir, 40 km from here,
Searches were conducted in Dadasir yesterday also.
Meanwhile, an Army jawan was injured when militants
opened fire on a security patrol at Larigam, also in Tral, 44
km from here, official sources said.
Security forces retaliated and exchange of fire was
still going on when reports were last received, the sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27