Militants attack CISF jawans in Srinagar; one dead
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
Srinagar: One jawan of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) was killed and another critically injured when militants opened fire in Srinagar on Monday, Jammu and Kashmir Police said.
Search operation is on to track militants who opened fire on the jawans near the Naaz cinema building in Iqbal Park area of the city.
Reports said that as the firing took place in the bustling market area jawans could not retaliate.
Aashiq Bukhari,SSP Srinagar, said, "The firing started at 10:30 am today."
Bukhari added that search operations were on to nab the militants.
"One of the injured CISF troopers died while being shifted to the hospital and the other has been admitted to hospital with critical bullet injuries," a senior police officer told.
Panic gripped the area with shopkeepers and pedestrians running helter skelter after the firing incident.
Senior police and paramilitary officials reached the spot.
The CISF troopers were reportedly buying vegetables outside the Naaz cinema building situated less than a kilometer from city centre Lal Chowk when the attack took place.
With the outbreak of separatist violence in Kashmir, Naaz cinema shut its operations in the beginning of 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- University of Mumbai to declare TYBCom Results 2016 today; check mu.ac.in
- Anil Kumble's appointment: This is what 'disappointed' Ravi Shastri, Sandeep Patil said...
- Telangana to join Centre's Uday scheme today
- UK economy plunges into unknown on Brexit
- Clouds over Britain's financial sector after Brexit vote