Militants attack police post, loot weapons in Pulwama
Srinagar: Militants stormed a police post set
up for protection of a minority community and looted five
rifles in Pulwama district of South Kashmir.
A group of heavily armed militants stormed the police
post at Midoora in Tral belt, 40 km from here, Tuesday night and
overpowered the policemen, official sources said today.
They said the ultras ran away with five rifles -- three
Insas and two SLRs -- along with some ammunition.
Two policemen present at the time of the attack were left
unharmed, they said. Three other policemen posted at the
picket had reportedly gone home unauthorisedly.
Soon after the incident, senior police officers rushed to
the scene and a massive hunt was launched to nab the militants
and recover the looted weapons, the sources said.
"All five policemen have been placed under suspension and
a departmental inquiry ordered," the sources said.
This is the first such incident in the last several years
in the valley.
The police picket in Midoora was established over a
decade ago for protection of Kashmiri Pandits living in the
village, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal