Militants attack police station in Srinagar, two injured
Srinagar: Two pedestrians were injured when suspected militants opened fire at a police station, prompting security personnel to retaliate in Pulwama district on Wednesday.
Unidentified militants opened fire at Awantipora Police Station, 32 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway around 2.45 pm, officials said.
They said police guards fired back and in the ensuing exchange, two pedestrians were injured.
Both the injured have been shifted to hospital and a hunt had been launched to nab the militants, the officials said.
The latest strike comes barely two days after militants shot dead two security personnel, a policeman and a CRPF jawan, and injured two others in separate attacks at Arwani in Anantnag and Almeira in Shopian district.
Meanwhile, a police spokesman said the injured included the wife of a doctor hailing from Srinagar and their condition was "stable".
Farzana, wife of doctor Suhail Ahmad Tari of Srinagar, and Rafeeq Ahmad Sheikh of Achabal in Anantnag were injured when militants fired indiscriminately at Awantipora bazar, the spokesman said.
He said Farzana was hit by a bullet in her thigh. "Both the injured are stable," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs
- Sleep apnea patients at glaucoma risk
- Unbelievable! Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' shatters Box Office, earns Rs 250 crore in India on Day 1?
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham