Militants attack security forces to provoke: Police
Srinagar: Militants in Jammu and Kashmir attack security personnel to provoke the latter to act against civilians, police chief Ashok Prasad said Monday.
He said militant activities in the state had fallen although attacks on security forces were continuing.
"Overall infiltration (of militants from Pakistan) is down, but the total amount of violence is roughly the same level as last year," he said.
"Bulk of the incidents which are sensational are attacks by the militants on security forces," Prasad told the media on the sidelines of a police function here.
He said militants were attacking security forces basically to provoke them into taking "stringent action" against ordinary people.
"These attacks are being carried under a planned strategy. We will revise our strategy to have maximum effectiveness with minimum impact on the general public," he said.
"We will not allow the peaceful situation (in Jammu and Kashmir) to be vitiated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read