Militant`s body recovered after Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: The body of a slain militant was recovered Wednesday from the debris of two houses destroyed in a gunfight that killed five militants as well as a captain of the Indian Army and two soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town.
"We have recovered the dead body of one militant so far from the debris of the houses destroyed in yesterday`s (Tuesday) gunfight in Sopore," a senior police officer told IANS.
The officer said the debris clearing operation was still on and the bodies of the other slain guerrillas were likely to be under the debris.
The gunfight, which started Tuesday morning in Chankipora locality of Sopore town, 54 km from here, left a captain and two soldiers dead. Three other soldiers and a civilian were injured in the fierce exchange of bullets that raged for several hours.
"Five militants, including a top LeT (Lashkar-e-Taeba) commander, are believed to have been killed in the gunfight. But this would be only confirmed after the debris clearing operation is completed," the officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India