Militant`s body recovered after Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: The body of a slain militant was recovered Wednesday from the debris of two houses destroyed in a gunfight that killed five militants as well as a captain of the Indian Army and two soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town.
"We have recovered the dead body of one militant so far from the debris of the houses destroyed in yesterday`s (Tuesday) gunfight in Sopore," a senior police officer told IANS.
The officer said the debris clearing operation was still on and the bodies of the other slain guerrillas were likely to be under the debris.
The gunfight, which started Tuesday morning in Chankipora locality of Sopore town, 54 km from here, left a captain and two soldiers dead. Three other soldiers and a civilian were injured in the fierce exchange of bullets that raged for several hours.
"Five militants, including a top LeT (Lashkar-e-Taeba) commander, are believed to have been killed in the gunfight. But this would be only confirmed after the debris clearing operation is completed," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP