Militant`s body recovered after Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: The body of a slain militant was recovered Wednesday from the debris of two houses destroyed in a gunfight that killed five militants as well as a captain of the Indian Army and two soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town.
"We have recovered the dead body of one militant so far from the debris of the houses destroyed in yesterday`s (Tuesday) gunfight in Sopore," a senior police officer told IANS.
The officer said the debris clearing operation was still on and the bodies of the other slain guerrillas were likely to be under the debris.
The gunfight, which started Tuesday morning in Chankipora locality of Sopore town, 54 km from here, left a captain and two soldiers dead. Three other soldiers and a civilian were injured in the fierce exchange of bullets that raged for several hours.
"Five militants, including a top LeT (Lashkar-e-Taeba) commander, are believed to have been killed in the gunfight. But this would be only confirmed after the debris clearing operation is completed," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray