Militants kill two policemen in Srinagar city
Srinagar: Militants on Saturday struck in the heart of the city shooting two policemen dead from point blank range in an apparent attempt to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to the state.
Using silencer-fitted pistols, the ultras carried out the attack at busy Hari Singh High Street near Jehangir Chowk here this afternoon, resulting in critical injuries to Head constable Mohammed Maqbool and constable Nazir Ahmed, police said.
While Maqbool died on his way to hospital, Nazir Ahmed succumbed to his injuries when he was being operated in the hospital, they said.
A 16-year-old girl, identified as Ishrat of Ganderbal, was also injured in the attack as she was hit by a bullet in the arm, the police said.
The attack comes three days ahead of high profile two-day visit of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the state during which he will inaugurate the railway section between Banihal and Qazigund. Singh is scheduled to arrive here on June 25.
The firing sparked off panic as people present in the busy area ran for safety.
The area was cordoned off and a hunt has been launched to nab the militants involved in the attack, the spokesman said.
Police sources said the security agencies are reviewing the CCTV footage of the camera installed in the area for identifying the assailants.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the incident which came a day after police carried out a crackdown on the nearby commercial hub of Lal Chowk following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade at the peak of militancy.
The operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb the peace by carrying out subversive activities, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31