Militants kill two policemen in Srinagar city
Srinagar: Militants on Saturday struck in the heart of the city shooting two policemen dead from point blank range in an apparent attempt to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to the state.
Using silencer-fitted pistols, the ultras carried out the attack at busy Hari Singh High Street near Jehangir Chowk here this afternoon, resulting in critical injuries to Head constable Mohammed Maqbool and constable Nazir Ahmed, police said.
While Maqbool died on his way to hospital, Nazir Ahmed succumbed to his injuries when he was being operated in the hospital, they said.
A 16-year-old girl, identified as Ishrat of Ganderbal, was also injured in the attack as she was hit by a bullet in the arm, the police said.
The attack comes three days ahead of high profile two-day visit of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the state during which he will inaugurate the railway section between Banihal and Qazigund. Singh is scheduled to arrive here on June 25.
The firing sparked off panic as people present in the busy area ran for safety.
The area was cordoned off and a hunt has been launched to nab the militants involved in the attack, the spokesman said.
Police sources said the security agencies are reviewing the CCTV footage of the camera installed in the area for identifying the assailants.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the incident which came a day after police carried out a crackdown on the nearby commercial hub of Lal Chowk following intelligence inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city.
No one was arrested during the hour-long operation which was a common sight during the 1990-2000 decade at the peak of militancy.
The operation was carried out in view of inputs that militants might try to sneak into the city to disturb the peace by carrying out subversive activities, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow