Militants lob grenades at town hall
Srinagar: Militants lobbed several grenades in the Town Hall in Sopore, which houses several government installations, including the official residence of Superintendent of Police, police sources said.
The ultras hurled three to four grenades at the Town Hall in Sopore town, 52 kms from here. The official residence of Superintendent of Police Sopore Altaf Khan is situated in the complex, they said.
However, there was no casualty or damage to the buildings in the attack, they said.
The attack took place in the wee hours this morning, they said, adding the militants managed to escape after carrying out the attack, taking the advantage of darkness.
Local residents said they heard several blasts followed by heavy gunfire in the area around midnight.
Police said the investigations have been started into the incident and preliminary reports suggest that militants fired rifle grenades towards the complex.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Around 150 militants belonging to Lashkar-e-Toiba, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, Hizb-ul-Mujahideen and Jaish-e-Mohammad are believed to be active in north Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday