Militants lob grenades at town hall
Srinagar: Militants lobbed several grenades in the Town Hall in Sopore, which houses several government installations, including the official residence of Superintendent of Police, police sources said.
The ultras hurled three to four grenades at the Town Hall in Sopore town, 52 kms from here. The official residence of Superintendent of Police Sopore Altaf Khan is situated in the complex, they said.
However, there was no casualty or damage to the buildings in the attack, they said.
The attack took place in the wee hours this morning, they said, adding the militants managed to escape after carrying out the attack, taking the advantage of darkness.
Local residents said they heard several blasts followed by heavy gunfire in the area around midnight.
Police said the investigations have been started into the incident and preliminary reports suggest that militants fired rifle grenades towards the complex.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Around 150 militants belonging to Lashkar-e-Toiba, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, Hizb-ul-Mujahideen and Jaish-e-Mohammad are believed to be active in north Kashmir.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'