Militants open fire near Silver Star hotel in Srinagar, one dead
Srinagar: Militants on Friday opened fire on an Army convoy and at a prominent hotel on the outskirts of Srinagar killing a bellboy and injuring two others in the first terror attack in this city since May when Kashmir Valley is witnessing a surge in tourism.
The ultras numbering between three and five opened indiscriminate firing on an Army convoy near the four-star Silver Star hotel near Lasjan on Parimpora- Panthachowk bypass road at around 4.20 PM, police said. No militant group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
A bell boy of the hotel, identified as Farooq Ahmad, and two other persons were injured in the firing by the militants, police said.
A police spokesman said initial investigations into the firing incident have shown that the militants had planned an attack on the highway which was not successful.
"They tried to enter a nearby Hotel which they could not and fired indiscriminately, killing one employee of the hotel and injuring two others," the spokesman added.
Waseem Abbas, one of the owners of Silver Star, said the militants first opened firing just outside the main gate of the hotel and then entered the grounds of the hotel.
"Few shots were fired inside the premises. We are not sure where our staffer was killed but it seems he was taken hostage and later shot dead behind the hotel," Abbas said.
SM Sahai, IG(Kashmir), said it was not clear if the four-storey hotel was the target of the militants.
Sahai said police was working on leads in the hunt to nab the militants.
An army vehicle was damaged in the militant attack but none of the security force personnel were harmed, police said.
Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched an operation to track down the militants.
The previous militant attack here was on May 30 when seven CRPF personnel were injured in an early morning terror strike at Rainawari in downtown Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India