Militants target securitymen in Kashmir attacks
Srinagar: Militants on Tuesday carried out four
attacks targeting security personnel in as many hours in the
Kashmir Valley, injuring three CRPF jawans and a policeman.
Two grenade were lobbed on security installations in
central Srinagar in a span of about five minutes followed by
an aborted attempt to target a police party with a grenade in
south Kashmir`s Shopian district. Later a policeman was shot
at and injured in nearby Anantnag district, prompting
authorities to tighten vigil.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the
attacks which come barely four days after Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah announced plans to revoke Armed Forces Special Powers
Act from certain parts of the state.
The first incident occurred at Maisuma area near Lal Chowk
when the ultras hurled a grenade targeting a CRFF bunker
outside Dashnami Akhara building at 12:25 pm, official
The grenade exploded resulting in injuries to three CRPF
jawans who were admitted to a hospital.
Minutes later, another grenade was hurled by militants
at a police post in Batmaloo, less than a kilometre away from
site of the first blast, the sources said.
No one was injured in the Batmaloo blast.
Police and CRPF personnel cordoned off both the sites and
detained a suspect for questioning.
As the security agencies were looking for clues to
identify and nab the attackers behind the twin grenade
attacks, militants made another attempt to target policemen in
Shopian district of South Kashmir.
Militants threw a grenade at police personnel who
were on guard duty outside a bank, in Zainapora area, 55 kms
from here, at around 14:35 hrs, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH