Minimum temperatures above freezing point in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: In further respite from cold wave for the residents of Kashmir owing to overcast conditions, the minimum temperatures in most parts of the Valley settled above the freezing point.
The minimum temperature in Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, settled at 2.3 degrees Celsius, over a degree up from the previous night`s 0.9 degree Celsius, a MeT Department official said.
The night temperature in the tourist resort of Pahalgam also appreciated from the previous night`s low of minus 0.8 degree Celsius to settle at a low of 0.7 degree Celsius, the official said.
The mercury in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg settled at a low of minus 0.4 degree Celsius against 0.3 degree Celsius the previous night, she said.
Kokernag in south Kashmir recorded a low of 2.8 degrees Celsius against the previous night`s 1.4 degrees Celsius, while Kupwara town in north recorded a minimum of minus 1.3 degrees Celsius against previous night`s minus 1.7 degrees Celsius, she said.
The official said Qazigiund - the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum of 0.4 degree Celsius, against the previous night`s minus 0.3 degree Celsius.
The minimum temperature in Leh town of frontier region of Ladakh settled at minus 8.5 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night`s, the official said.
Leh continues to remain the coldest recorded place in the state, she said.
The nearby Kargil town recorded a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 5.5 degrees Celsius, she said.
The MeT Department has said the weather would remain mainly dry and there would be fall in night temperatures.
Kashmir Valley has been going through a spell of dry weather over the past month and a little before that, although the winter set in early this season, with the high altitude areas, including Gulmarg, recording the first snowfall at the fag end of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America