Minimum temperatures above freezing point in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: In further respite from cold wave for the residents of Kashmir owing to overcast conditions, the minimum temperatures in most parts of the Valley settled above the freezing point.
The minimum temperature in Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, settled at 2.3 degrees Celsius, over a degree up from the previous night`s 0.9 degree Celsius, a MeT Department official said.
The night temperature in the tourist resort of Pahalgam also appreciated from the previous night`s low of minus 0.8 degree Celsius to settle at a low of 0.7 degree Celsius, the official said.
The mercury in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg settled at a low of minus 0.4 degree Celsius against 0.3 degree Celsius the previous night, she said.
Kokernag in south Kashmir recorded a low of 2.8 degrees Celsius against the previous night`s 1.4 degrees Celsius, while Kupwara town in north recorded a minimum of minus 1.3 degrees Celsius against previous night`s minus 1.7 degrees Celsius, she said.
The official said Qazigiund - the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum of 0.4 degree Celsius, against the previous night`s minus 0.3 degree Celsius.
The minimum temperature in Leh town of frontier region of Ladakh settled at minus 8.5 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night`s, the official said.
Leh continues to remain the coldest recorded place in the state, she said.
The nearby Kargil town recorded a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 5.5 degrees Celsius, she said.
The MeT Department has said the weather would remain mainly dry and there would be fall in night temperatures.
Kashmir Valley has been going through a spell of dry weather over the past month and a little before that, although the winter set in early this season, with the high altitude areas, including Gulmarg, recording the first snowfall at the fag end of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'