Mirwaiz detained ahead of Shopian visit
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and several other leaders of the amalgam were detained by police today as they were heading to visit curfew-bound Shopian district.
Mirwaiz and other leaders were taken into preventive custody as soon as they came out of amalgam headquarters at Rajbagh here.
The moderate Hurriyat chairman was taken to his Nigeen residence and put under house arrest, police sources said.
Earlier, the separatist leader told reporters that members of the Executive Council and General Council of the Hurriyat had decided to visit Shopian to express solidarity with people of the south Kashmir district.
Alleging people were facing shortage of food and other essentials in Shopian, Mirwaiz said the government should withdraw the curfew there within 24 hours.
"If the government fails to do so, we will be forced to appeal to the people from all parts of Kashmir to march towards Shopian," he said.
"We will go to Shopian not only to express solidarity with the people but to break the curfew," Mirwaiz said.
"Whenever trouble erupts, the government imposes curfew. We will not accept this," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof