Mirwaiz gives strike call in J&K on June 25
Srinagar: A day after separatist Hurriyat Conference called for a strike on June 25, the moderate faction of the outfit also called for a general strike against the visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here alleging that the Centre is treating Kashmir as more of an economic issue than a political one.
"The people of Kashmir are being compelled to take the route of protests and strikes as, instead of addressing the Kashmir-issue politically, the leadership is trying to look at it through the prism of economic packages," the moderate faction headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said in a telephonic address to a Friday congregation at the Jamia Masjid here.
Mirwaiz, who usually delivers Friday sermons at the historic mosque, was placed under house arrest by authorities as he had planned to take out a rally after the prayers.
The people of Kashmir wanted New Delhi to fulfill promises made to them and advocated for a meaningful dialogue to resolve the vexed issue, Mirwaiz said.
The Hurriyat chairman condemned the curbs placed on him and other separatist leaders including chairman of rival faction Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
Singh, alongwith UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, is scheduled to visit the Valley next week to inaugurate the Qazigund-Banihal rail link of the Kashmir rail project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read