Mirwaiz placed under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairperson of the moderate faction of Jammu and Kashmir`s separatist Hurriyat Conference, was placed under house arrest on Monday, a day before the group has called for a march to the Eidgah here.
The Mirwaiz`s movements have been restricted to maintain law and order, a police official said.
The moderate Hurriyat group has called for a march to the martyrs` graveyard in Eidgah area to commemorate the death anniversaries of Mirwaiz Muhammad Farooq (Mirwaiz`s father) and Abdul Gani Lone.
While unidentified gunmen killed Mirwaiz Muhammad Farooq in his Nigeen residence on May 21 in 1990, Lone was killed during a separatist rally in Srinagar city on May 21 in 2002.
Sources in the state administration told a news agency that the proposed separatist march would not be allowed keeping in view the past experience.
"Such marches and rallies have often turned violent in the past. We will not take any chances with the law and order situation in the city or elsewhere in the state", a top official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof