Mirwaiz placed under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairperson of the moderate faction of Jammu and Kashmir`s separatist Hurriyat Conference, was placed under house arrest on Monday, a day before the group has called for a march to the Eidgah here.
The Mirwaiz`s movements have been restricted to maintain law and order, a police official said.
The moderate Hurriyat group has called for a march to the martyrs` graveyard in Eidgah area to commemorate the death anniversaries of Mirwaiz Muhammad Farooq (Mirwaiz`s father) and Abdul Gani Lone.
While unidentified gunmen killed Mirwaiz Muhammad Farooq in his Nigeen residence on May 21 in 1990, Lone was killed during a separatist rally in Srinagar city on May 21 in 2002.
Sources in the state administration told a news agency that the proposed separatist march would not be allowed keeping in view the past experience.
"Such marches and rallies have often turned violent in the past. We will not take any chances with the law and order situation in the city or elsewhere in the state", a top official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city