Mirwaiz refuses to meet delegation
Srinagar: Chairman of Moderate Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq has refused to meet a three-member delegation of eminent individuals currently assessing the situation in Kashmir Valley.
The Mirwaiz refused to meet the team comprising retired admiral KK Nayyar, former vice chancellor of Jammu University Amitab Mattoo and professor Radha Kumar of Jamia Millia University, a top aide of the Mirwaiz told a news agency today.
The team had come here three days ago and approached the Mirwaiz for discussing the prevailing situation as part of Track-II efforts for reviving the internal dialogue, but he
refused to meet them, the aide Shahidul Islam said.
Islam, who conveyed rejection of the request of the team, said the Mirwaiz conveyed that unless all prisoners are released unconditionally, the Armed Forces Special Powers Act
is revoked, troops are shifted from the civilian areas from the valley and innocent civilian killings are stopped, no talks would be held.
The members of the team had separate meetings with chief minister Omar Abdullah and opposition leader Mehbooba Mufti.
The chief minister, briefing the team about the prevailing situation, said he had already recommended to the Centre initiation of talks with all stakeholders.
The PDP leader told the team that people of Kashmir need a sense of security because by mere lodging of protest they are being killed, youths are being arrested and a dangerous atmosphere has been created in the valley.
She also told the team that people are protesting for fulfilment of political demands and every type of force is being used against them. Even army had been called out on the
roads which has angered the people.
The PDP leader told the team that her party has been
advocating talks with people from the day one. But for
initiation of dialogue, a congenial atmosphere is necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?