Missing soldier`s body found after 18-yr in Siachen Glacier
Srinagar: The body of an Indian Army soldier has been recovered from Siachen Glacier in Jammu and Kashmir, 18 years after he was reported missing from the world`s highest battlefield.
Havaldar Gaya Prasad, a native of Mainpuri in Uttar Pradesh, had gone missing while on duty on Siachen Glacier in 1996, an Army official said.
"The body of the soldier was recovered last week. He went missing at Siachen Glacier 18 years ago," the official said.
The soldier`s body will be flown to Chandigarh and from there to his native village in Uttar Pradesh by road, he said.
Although it was not immediately clear how the soldier had died, it is presumed that he might have been swept away by an avalanche, the officer said, adding, Prasad was posted with 15 Rajput unit of the Army when he had gone missing.
Siachen is known as the world`s highest battleground, situated at an altitude of 5,700 metres. The extreme low temperature which can drop to minus 60 degrees Celsius during winter has caused thousands of deaths since 1984 when India and Pakistan stationed their troops on the Glacier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark