Mission to have error-free electoral rolls in J&K: EC
Jammu: In the run up to the general elections later this year, Election Commission has stressed on the preparation of error-free electoral rolls for Jammu and Kashmir and called for the involvement of all stakeholders for the Special Summary Revision of the same.
"Active participation of all the stakeholders is vital for special summary revision of electoral rolls in order to add fresh, eligible voters, delete wrong entries and settle claims and objections," Deputy Election Commissioner, Vinod Zutshi has said.
At a meeting yesterday with the representatives of political parties here, Zutshi sought their cooperation for the drawing up of error-free electoral rolls.
Discussions were held on various issues pertaining to poll preparedness and Zutshi said that a helpline would be soon established to provide information and assist voters.
He apprised the participants about the Model Code of Conduct which comes into effect for polls and spoke of the various steps being taken to ensure free and fair elections.
EC will be appointing observers to monitor party and candidates` expenditure for the polls, he added.
Issues related to Electronic Voting Machines, setting up of polling booths and questions of their accessibility were also discussed at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan fails to seal F-16 fighter jets deal with US, says report
- Sensational: New Zealand teenager Glenn Phillips hits 6 sixes in an over
- 'A Wednesday' veterans Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah spar over Kashmiri Pandits - Details inside
- National Anthem disrespect: Farooq Abdullah offers apology, says 'sorry, if I offended anyone'
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts