Mistaken for militant, armyman shot dead in J&K
Srinagar: In an embarrassing development for the armed forces, an armyman was shot dead and three others injured after they were mistaken for fleeing militants by another unit of troops patrolling in the Budgam district on the outskirts of Srinagar on Tuesday.
As per reports, after receiving a tip-off about the movement of militants through the area, the security forces had set up a vehicle check post at Chattergam chowk, 20 kilometres from Srinagar, in Chadoora area of Budgam.
On spotting a Tata Sumo, which was carrying armymen from the 35 Rashtriya Rifles in civilian clothes, troops of 53 Rashtriya Rifles opened fire on the vehicle when it did not stop at the check point despite warning.
In the tragic incident, an armyman was killed and three others received serious injuries. Those injured were later shifted to 92 Base Hospital, where the condition of one jawan is stated to critical.
Meanwhile, local police have begun its investigation into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- AAP focusing only on attacking PM Narendra Modi: Harsh Vardhan
- Sensex soars over 400 points; Nifty breaches 8,700-mark
- 17-year-old 'unschooled' Malvika Joshi makes it to MIT
- VVIP chopper scam: Key middleman approaches CBI, says ready to divulge if not arrested by India
- PM Narendra Modi to visit Gujarat to launch irrigation scheme SAUNI Yojana today