Mistaken for militant, armyman shot dead in J&K
Srinagar: In an embarrassing development for the armed forces, an armyman was shot dead and three others injured after they were mistaken for fleeing militants by another unit of troops patrolling in the Budgam district on the outskirts of Srinagar on Tuesday.
As per reports, after receiving a tip-off about the movement of militants through the area, the security forces had set up a vehicle check post at Chattergam chowk, 20 kilometres from Srinagar, in Chadoora area of Budgam.
On spotting a Tata Sumo, which was carrying armymen from the 35 Rashtriya Rifles in civilian clothes, troops of 53 Rashtriya Rifles opened fire on the vehicle when it did not stop at the check point despite warning.
In the tragic incident, an armyman was killed and three others received serious injuries. Those injured were later shifted to 92 Base Hospital, where the condition of one jawan is stated to critical.
Meanwhile, local police have begun its investigation into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video
- Asia markets move cautiously ahead of bank meetings
- Bernie Sanders says Hillary Clinton `must become` next US president